Episode 2: Sociological Research on Science and Religion in the USA – Dr Shiri Noy
Dr Shiri Noy is an Assistant Professor in Sociology at Denison University, Ohio. Her research interests are in political culture, globalization, and development. You can read her Researcher Profile here.
In this episode, we talk with Shiri about the value of quantitative and qualitative methods in understanding public attitudes to science and religion in the US; how theoretical insights from political and cultural sociology help to better make sense of this relationship, and, for reasons that will become clear, we also talk quite a lot about Battenberg cake. Listen to it here:
This podcast is 59 mins and 58 seconds
The key words associated with this podcast are:
- Sociology of Science and Religion
- Science and Religion in the US
- Mixed Methods Research
- Quantitative Analysis
- Cultural Authorities
To learn more about these issues, we recommend that you read:
This book: Science, Belief and Society: International Perspectives on Religion, Non-religion and the Public Understanding of Science edited by Stephen Jones, Tom Kaden and Rebecca Catto; Policy Press, May 2019
This article: ‘Americans’ Traditional, Modern, and PostSecular Perspectives on Science and Religion’ Timothy L. O’Brien and Shiri Noy. American Sociological Review, January 2015
Enter our book giveaway
Enter our book giveaway for the chance to receive a copy of ‘Science, Belief and Society’.
(Bristol University Press, 2019) edited by Stephen H. Jones, Tom Kaden, and Rebecca Catto.
How to enter: Quote tweet us on Twitter. (Quote tweet is a retweet that has been made with a comment) and include the hashtag #sbsbookprize
Share our post on Facebook and write your own post alongside, including the hashtag #sbsbookprize
The giveaway is live for 14 days after the podcast is launched (3 November 2020). We will then select the winner at random and contact them by direct message to request postal details.
We will announce the winner on social media.
Find us on Twitter at @Science_Belief
Find us on Facebook at International Research Network for the Study of Science and Belief in Society
Entries close 16 November 2020 (See below for Terms and Conditions).
Terms and Conditions for book giveaway:
Science and Belief in Society Podcast – Book giveaway Terms and Conditions
- The promoter is: the International Research Network for the Study of Science and Belief in Society research project.
- The competition is open to listeners of the Science and Belief in Society podcast. Anyone directly involved with the named promoter, including their relatives or anyone judging the competition are not eligible.
- There is no entry fee and no purchase necessary to enter this competition.
- By entering this competition, an entrant is indicating their agreement to be bound by these terms and conditions.
- Details of how to enter can be found on: https://scienceandbeliefinsociety.org
- Competition entry is via Twitter: @Science_Belief and Facebook page: International Research Network for the Study of Science & Belief in Society
- Only one entry (a Twitter Retweet and tag or Facebook share and tag) will be accepted per person. Multiple entries for the same prize from the same person will be disqualified.
- Closing date for entry will be 14 days after the relevant podcast launch date. After this date the no further entries to the competition will be permitted.
- No responsibility can be accepted for entries not received for whatever reason.
- The International Research Network for the Study of Science and Belief in Society reserves the right to cancel or amend the competition and these terms and conditions without notice. Any changes to the competition will be made available on our website as soon as possible.
- The promoter is not responsible for inaccurate prize details supplied to any entrant by any third party connected with this competition.
- The prize is as stated and no cash or other alternatives will be offered. The prizes are not transferable. Prizes are subject to availability and we reserve the right to substitute any prize with another without giving notice.
- Winners will be chosen at random selection, from all entries received and will be verified by an independent adjudicator appointed by the International Research Network for the Study of Science and Belief in Society.
- The winner will be notified by Direct Message on Twitter or Facebook within 28 days of the closing date. If the winner cannot be contacted or does not claim the prize within 14 days of notification, we reserve the right to withdraw the prize from the winner and pick a replacement winner.
- The promoter will notify the winner when the prize can be delivered.
- The promoter’s decision in respect of all matters to do with the competition will be final and no correspondence will be entered into.
- Any personal data relating to the winner or any other entrants will be used solely in accordance with the UK Data Protection act (2018) and EU GDPR legislation.
- The winner’s full social media name will be published on our social media platforms, and will be available on request 30 days from the closing date of the competition, unless the winner does not consent to this.
- This promotion is in no way sponsored, endorsed or administered by, or associated with, Facebook, Twitter or any other Social Network. You are providing your information to the International Research Network for the Study of Science and Belief in Society and not to any other party.
These Terms and Conditions were published on 20 October 2020