PhD Online Workshop 2024
Multidisciplinary Approaches to the Study of Science & Belief in Society, online PhD workshop, 15 – 19 January 2024
The International Research Network for the Study of Science and Belief in Society (INSBS) will be running an international PhD workshop online from 15 – 19 January 2024. The workshop is open to anyone from who is currently enrolled on a PhD programme, who is conducting research on any social or cultural aspect of Science, Technology, Engineering, Maths or Medicine (STEMM) in relation to any religious, spiritual or non-religious tradition, position or worldview, including unbelief.
We welcome PhD candidates from all regions/countries and a range of disciplines across the social sciences and humanities, including (but not limited to) sociology of religion, psychology of religion, science and technology studies, sociology of health/medicine, media and cultural studies, social anthropology, politics, the history and philosophy of science/religion and religious studies.
The PhD Workshop will focus on cutting-edge research in the study of science and belief in society, introducing PhD students to key themes including:
- The challenges and benefits of incorporating multidisciplinary perspectives into your work
- Internationalising perspectives beyond Western conceptions of science and religion
- The difficulties of categorisation in both quantitative and qualitative approaches to studying science and religion in society
The workshop will take the form of a series of five daily online workshops and reading groups (2 x 1hr sessions per day), where participants will have the opportunity to discuss readings and content with the academic authors of the work. We will be running each session twice at different times on the same day, to accommodate as best as possible those in different time zones. Participants will be expected to read/listen to a maximum of 10 pieces (articles, chapters, podcasts) in advance of the workshop – all of which will be provided by INSBS. The full programme will be circulated to successful applicants.
In keeping with the aim of INSBS, to support the growth of high-quality international research examining the relationship between science and belief in relation to cutting edge social issues and individuals’ lived experiences, the PhD workshop aims to introduce PhD candidates from a range of disciplines and geographical contexts to leading scholars and foundational readings on science and belief in society.
INSBS is based at the University of Birmingham, and led by team members from the Science, Knowledge and Belief in Society Research Group.
We have a limited number of small bursaries to help cover any costs associated with attending this online workshop:
– Digital Inclusion Bursary to help cover any costs associated with attending this online workshop (up to the value of £50). For example, these could be used to cover the cost of purchasing mobile data. For purposes of audit, this bursary payment will only be provided on production of receipts and evidence of purchase.
– Childcare Bursary to contribute to covering childcare costs expended to facilitate attendance at the online workshop (up to the value of £100). For purposes of audit, this bursary payment will only be provided on production of an invoice from a professional and registered childcare provider (nursery or childminder). Payments to e.g. family members (except where these are professional registered childcare providers and able to provide an appropriate invoice for services) will not be reimbursed.
If you require a bursary to help support your attendance at the workshop, please add a short statement (max. 200 words) that outlines the reason for requiring a bursary and the amount you are requesting. Please note bursaries cannot be used to cover salaries or wages.
Applications now closed
ECR Workshop 2024, Birmingham, UK
University of Birmingham 8th – 12th April 2024, University of Birmingham, UK We invite expressions of interest to participate in The International Research Network for the Study of Science and Belief in Society’s Early Career Researcher (ECR) Workshop 2024. The fully-funded in-person ECR Workshop (8th – 12th April) will be hosted…
INSBS 5th Annual Conference
Dorint Hotel Frankfurt / Oberursel 5th Annual Conference, 1st – 4th July 2024,Dorint Hotel Frankfurt / Oberursel (Germany) The International Research Network for the Study of Science and Belief in Society has been at the centre of the recent significant growth in social scientific and humanities research focusing on science, religion, and belief in…